Castell Coch (Welsh for Red Castle) is a 19th-century Gothic Revival castle built above the village of Tongwynlais in South Wales. The first castle on the site was built by the Normans after 1081, to protect the newly conquered town of Cardiff and control the route along the Taff Gorge. Abandoned shortly afterwards, the castle's earth motte was reused by Gilbert de Clare as the basis for a new stone fortification, which he built between 1267 and 1277 to control his freshly annexed Welsh lands. This castle was probably destroyed in the native Welsh rebellion of 1314. In 1760, the castle ruins were acquired by the Marquesses of Bute as part of a marriage settlement that brought the family vast estates in South Wales.John Crichton-Stuart, the 3rd Marquess of Bute, inherited the castle in 1848. One of Britain's wealthiest men, with interests in architecture and antiquarian studies, he employed the architect William Burges to reconstruct the castle, "as a country residence for occasional occupation in the summer", using the medieval remains as a basis for the design. Burges rebuilt the outside of the castle between 1875 and 1879, before turning to the interior; he died in 1881 and the work was not finished by Burges's remaining team until 1891. Bute reintroduced commercial viticulture into Britain, planting a vineyard just below the castle, and wine production continued until the First World War. The Marquess made little use of his new retreat and in 1950 his grandson, the 5th Marquess of Bute, placed it into the care of the state. It is now controlled by the Welsh heritage agency Cadw.
Ubicación: Castell Coch, Tongwynlais, Cardiff, Wales. UK
with our download packs
Pre-pay for multiple images and download on demand.
Esta imagen ya no está en venta. La licencia que compró previamente, y que sigue vigente permite, reutilización múltiple. No puede descargar ni comprar licencias nuevas. Al pulsar OK, confirma que esta imagen solo será utilizada conforme a los derechos disponibles en la licencia vigente.